Thursday, May 13, 2010

Over the last month or so I've been in correspondence with a senior Lib Dem Parliamentarian regarding implementation of the Equality Act, and this morning I also raised with him my concerns over a proposed constitutional change. Excerpt from my email -

I look forward to your response to my earlier correspondence, but another matter came up yesterday which I would also like to raise with you.

As part of the published coalition agreement between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives, there is a proposal that 55% of the elected House of Commons will be needed to bring down the government and force a general election.

The change seems to be unfair because it would effectively mean that the votes of MPs belonging to the government are worth more than other MPs.

With a 55% target for a no-confidence vote and 306 MPs, the Conservatives cannot be removed even if the Lib Dems and every other MP were to vote against them. Surely that can't be right?

My year-long FOI enquiry (blog 1 May 2010) regarding the broadcasters' request for an opt-out from legislation was granted on Monday, though there are still some loose ends.

No comments: